the happy couple

the happy couple
This is where we will be 'tying the knot' exactly one year before the wedding!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Less than three months to go!

So last week I went down to IL to work on the wedding.  I naively thought that I could also get some writing done for my dissertation while my mom was working during the day.  That was not the case.  I was busy from 7AM until 7PM each day working on some aspect of the wedding.  It has now become 'THE WEDDING' like an entity all its own.  I can no longer control it.  It will be what it will be.  I found myself just nodding in agreement for most of the week, but I see this as a good thing.  It means that we have many talented professionals helping with the location, cake, flowers, and hairstyles.

Let's see...what did I accomplish?  Well, I helped my mom pick out her dress.  She bought the one I liked.  I am happy about that.  I also picked up two 'party' dresses for all the upcoming weddings, parties, and showers I will be attending. 

Hmm...then there were the invitations.  They are addressed, stuffed, and in the mail. Yay!  I also picked out the cake design, flavors, and topper.  I found jewelry for my bridesmaids (maybe that should be a secret...well, surprise bridemaids!  I am giving you jewelry that I expect you to wear on May 28.  I can do that right?  Tell them what to do?). 

We hammered out a rough sketch of what the wedding day will be like with George at the Country Squire.  I got everything I wanted, except that some other person is having a wedding there at 11:30AM and then a luncheon afterwards.  George assured us that the garden area will be ours by 1PM and ALL the other guests will be off the property by 4PM.  They better be, or I am going to wear heels instead of flats and step on some toes--and ankles, if necessary.

AUNTS, UNCLES, COUSINS, SIBLINGS, PARENTS, GRANDPARENTS, AND GODPARENTS OF THE BRIDE AND GROOM PLEASE TAKE NOTE-- WE ARE DOING ALL PICTURES BEFORE THE CEREMONY.  PLEASE BE AT THE COUNTRY SQUIRE NO LATER THAN 3:30PM ON MAY 28.

Sorry, I thought that was important, so I switched to "Billy Mays Mode".

We picked out all the flowers.  They are going to be purple.  Surprised?  We also decided on center pieces.  Save your brown beer bottles.  We might need them. 

I had a dry run with my hair style.  Well, actually it started wet, then Elisabeth dried it, then she styled it.  I liked it a lot.  I am glad she is so talented.  But it helps that my hair is so awesome to begin with.

I ordered my garter yesterday.  I designed it myself and paid someone to make it for me.  It will be one of a kind, but most of you probably won't see it, at least not while it is on my leg.  We aren't doing the garter toss.  There won't be many single people there.  But I am doing the bouquet toss.

I think that is the bulk of what we did and I suppose I should get back to work.  Currently on the agenda?  Book time and vow writing.  Book time is when I read a book relating the results of years of scientific study on what makes marriages last.  I read it aloud to Eric and we complete the exercises, like 'Improving your love maps'.  Eric lovingly obliges me in this endeavor.  I think we have already benefited from it and now I don't feel like we need pre-marital counseling.  Especially since most marriage counseling is ineffective (there is a 70%+ relapse rate)- well, at least according to the book.

1 comment:

  1. i still read it!

    also, we should have a drinking congo line.

    take a shot, get in line! you can't get in line unless you take a shot.

    everyone has to get in line.

    ReplyDelete